You’re ready to sell your home! Congratulations! While it’s a bittersweet time, and you’ll miss summers in the backyard and winters by the fireplace inside, you know…it’s time to move. And your home is a commodity you want to sell for the highest possible price. So Whynot get a head start on preparing for that sale and planning for the best possible outcome! And that could mean investing in a home staging service that will enhance your home’s charm and appeal—inside and out.
Before you do anything, it’s a good idea to do a personal experiment and make notes on your home. What’s your first impression? What’s the home’s best exterior features? What are its worst exterior features or weaknesses? Walk around the property. Would you buy your home?
Many homebuyers make quick decisions on whether to attend a home’s open house or to pass on it based on its curb appeal. When your home looks updated, organized and inviting outside, chances are buyers will take a peek inside. But sometimes, sellers focus only on the interior, opting to focus on renos that fetch top dollar (ie. kitchens, bathrooms, windows, etc.). This is a valuable venture, but improving the exterior flirts with a buyer’s mindset and visual lean.
It’s like judging a book by its cover. Many homebuyers are visually-driven and need that exterior attraction to be drawn in. Some tips to help you get started on turning the outside into a haven for homebuyers:
- De-clutter the property. Put away garden tools, hoses, empty pots, etc.
- Clean the windows. Hire a professional window washer to do the job.
- Add a fresh coat of paint to chipped window sills, door frames, etc.
- Do some yard work: mow the lawn; pull weeds; wash the deck; edge the grass; trim tree limbs; rake and dispose of leaves; add flowers.
- Improve the lighting on your driveway, back deck, front porch and pathways to and around the property.
- Wood stain or paint the garage door. De-clutter and add shelves inside.
- Revamp your Welcome mat to ensure the message is inviting.
Turn heads by turning your home into a conversation piece on the block. They say happy homes are reflected from the outside in. If you don’t have time to invest in simple upgrades or meticulous landscaping projects, a home stager like Kelly Whynot can help give your home that lasting impression for homebuyers.
APM-Approved Home Stager